Everyone wants a clean, fresh-smelling home. Fortunately, you don’t need to purchase heavy-duty chemical deodorizers to achieve olfactory utopia. Keep reading to learn a few simple steps to maintaining a stink-free household.
First, Find the Source
Before you can tackle a noxious odor, you need to learn where it comes from. Is that musty smell emanating from the garbage disposal, bathroom, or laundry room? When you find the source, you can design a maintenance plan.
Adopt Regular Cleaning/Deodorizing Habits
While cleaning can seem too time-consuming or expensive, there are ways around these challenges. You can make natural cleaners with products like vinegar, baking soda and castile soap, while setting aside 15 or 20 minutes a day for tidying up. A few important strategies include:
- Wiping down/flushing toilets daily (this goes for rarely-used bathrooms, as well)
- Keeping an eye on damp areas that might produce mildew or mold (oxygen bleach and hydrogen peroxide make great preventative agents)
- Cleaning litter boxes daily
- Washing/vacuuming pet beds weekly
- Keeping smelly clothes/shoes out of the house (gym clothes, muddy cleats and sweaty uniforms can have a lovely place in the garage)
- Cleaning the trash can weekly
- Opening windows daily when weather permits
Use Natural Products to Freshen Key Areas
Several household products can make your house smell cozy and inviting, including:
- Baking Soda – This inexpensive wonder has all kinds of handy uses. Keep it in the refrigerator, sprinkle it on carpets before vacuuming, or pour it down the garbage disposal. Its odor-absorbing properties will do the rest. Note: You can also use it to remove stains from cookware and sinks, brush your teeth, or exfoliate skin.
- Vinegar – Another cheap but amazing product, distilled vinegar (when diluted with water in a 1:1 ratio) can become a cleaning powerhouse. Spray it on musty upholstery, carpet or linen to kill the stink. Although vinegar has a strong scent initially, the smell goes away as it dries. It can also be used to clean surfaces like stainless steel, glass, hardwood floors, porcelain, and many others.
- Coffee – Who doesn’t love the aroma of fresh coffee? Put whole beans or ground coffee in a sock and hang in a closet, laundry room, or any space that needs deodorizing.
- Plants – Indoor plants clean the air and provide unparalleled ambiance. The easiest ones to care for include Boston ferns, weeping figs, bamboo, devil’s ivy, and pothos.
For all your septic needs, remember to contact Express Septic Services in Greenville, SC at 864-303-0337.